Skip to main content

Ashes to Ashes




One year ago today Kevin and I had to put our dog, Miko to sleep. She was just about to turn 14 years old. We never did know the exact day . . . just that it was around the 20th of February. Some of the time we would get her a birthday gift, usually special dog treats of some kind. But we never did that very consistently. Sometimes I really wish that we had. I suppose it would quell a bit of the guilt that I feel for this and for that -- for not paying her enough attention in those last weeks. I could soothe myself with the fact that, "Well, at least I never let her birthday go by without a celebration." But I cannot. I can't change what has already been done. But I often wish that I could.

Yesterday was Ash Wednesday, and as usual it put me in a very reflective mood. Although, I must say, it is a rarity if I am not overly introspective on any given day. But Ash Wednesday brings an extra-special sort of introspection. I often think about what I need to change about myself -- what I need to do better. The usual conclusion is that I need to change A LOT!

My dad has always performed Ash Wednesday services to mark the beginning of Lent. I feel very lucky for this because I know most Protestant denominations do not recognize the season of Lent very much, more of in passing. And I feel as though you cannot fully appreciate the meaning of Easter, unless you go through a sort of journey through Lent. During our Ash Wednesday services my Dad would always have the portion of the service in which he would place the marks of the cross on our foreheads (or hands if desired) in ashes.

This is done with the ashes of the burned palms from the previous year's Palm Sunday service. It is to represent that from dust we came and to dust we shall return. The symbolism of this simple activity is rich and full. There are so many things for us to ponder during Lent . . . mortality, the suffering of Christ and what he endured for humanity, our personal faith journeys, compassion, wisdom, and the kindness or lack of with which we treat people. I probably haven't even touched the surface. And everyone is going to approach this differently because everyone is on their own individual faith journey.

When I was little I didn't fully understand the purpose of the ashes; I just thought it was kind of cool, and I'm not sure why. It seemed so interesting to get messy in church! There was something comforting even then about getting the cross of ashes on my forehead. I felt safe. I felt claimed (in a good way). I felt as though I was protected. Today I still carry some of that with me, but now I see the ashes and wonder when I will become part of them. That both upsets me and comforts me. I'm of course not anywhere near ready to die. But when the time comes, I find some solace in knowing that I will be part of the earth. I will be physically tapping into the connections that exist amongst all of God's creation.

Today I find some comfort in thinking that our dear Miko is now part of that. She was buried beneath a tree in the yard of my brother and his family. They very kindly offered to let us keep her there since they have no intention of ever moving. And that way, she would always be laid beside our family. I find comfort in that as well.

The last couple months I have thought about her a lot more again, knowing that the one year anniversary was slowly approaching. It is hard to believe that we have been without her for an entire year. I never knew how I would get through it. But as people say, "Life goes on." The pain is still here, sometimes quietly slumbering deep below, and sometimes loudly parading on the surface. Lately I've had several good cries, remembering just how very much I miss her still. I had the hardest cry a few days ago, while watching an episode of "Celebrity Rehab." The actress Mackenzie Philips suddenly had to go home to have her dog put to sleep. He was blind and diabetic, and the time had come. She sobbed over even thinking about having to say goodbye. I understood what she felt. I knew that pain. It's not just a dog . . . it's a companion. Like her, I have had very close connections to each of my dogs. Losing them is like losing a best friend that knows all your secrets.

In a way, I think part of me was buried with Miko. Just as the birth of my nephew Jakob a couple years ago made me feel a rebirth in other parts of myself. We are all connected. When one passes we feel that loss as a passing of something inside us, reminding us that all things must change; nothing lasts forever. And when new life arrives, we have the honor of being reminded that all things will come again, nothing lasts forever. Life and death is cyclical, just like the ashes. From dust we came and to dust we shall return. To me, that is beautiful. If you think about it, life is a journey and death is just like going home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Of Passages and Blooms

 Today our niece, BryAnna, has had one of her greatest wishes come true . . . she left Riley Hospital without her trach for the first time in her life.  For the first time she will breathe through her nose and mouth, rather than a tube inserted into her throat.  After 10 years of wishing, hoping and waiting BryAnna can now enjoy what most of us daily take for granted. Bry has endured a couple dozen surgeries in her short time, and done so with an immense amount of sass and spunk.  She has Treacher Collins Syndrome.  But I hesitate to leave that as such a simple statement, because I don't want  her to be defined by her syndrome, by her limitations.  She is so much more beyond that.  And she has constantly fought to not allow those limitations to control her.  Today she won . . . for those of us who are her family and friends, we all won. But today has been preceded by many other days -- some won, some lost, some neither won nor lost, but were the in-between spaces where we j

A Swing Under the Tree

I just read a blog entry on letting go.  The author related the need to let go in yoga to letting go in life, instead of fretting and focusing on obvious strength and success.  Having participated in the yoga from P90X I can certainly appreciate the literal implications as well as the figurative.  You should read it; it's a wonderful post:  On Strength and Letting Go .  It was a very appropriate read for me today, as I am finding myself getting more and more wound-up and fretful in the last several months.  There have been a lot of struggles and stress in my life in the last couple years . . . things I don't necessarily have to expound upon, because frankly, I'm not sure how much it matters.  Everyone has their piles of worry.  I'm no different.  I'm no more special with my grievances than the next person.  I have been stretched very thinly, trying to take care of myself, my family, my husband's family, friends, work, and trying to make significant

A Day Unlike Any Other Day

I can hardly believe that four years ago today, I was up at around 5:30am, running on the fumes of four hours sleep, slightly late for my hair appointment, tired, nervous, excited, wondering if I was going to have enough stamina for the day, wondering if I would look okay in my dress, wondering if I would be a good wife. Four years ago was our wedding day. I am amazed at how right people were when they told me as a child and a teenager that time flies by the older you get. It seems as though each year picks up a little more speed, leaving me with breathless wonder if it'll be bursting with the pace of a cheetah by the time I'm in my golden years. So it is important to pause, take a breath (really letting it permeate through my body, slowly releasing it), and remember all of the moments that meant something -- big or small. Today I am remembering one of those "big" moments -- the kind of moment that is so integral to the entirety of my life, but that seems so surre